U.S. Department Of Justice Reveals Growing Bitcoin And Crypto National Security Threat Could Herald ‘Oncoming Storm’

Bitcoin and cryptocurrency use by terrorists, rogue nations and other criminals has grown in recent years—with high-profile attacks drawing international attention.

The illicit use of bitcoin and cryptocurrency ranges from money laundering and tax evasion to extortion, with cyber criminals increasingly demanding bitcoin and crypto payments in ransomware attacks on computer systems.

Now, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) has warned the emergence of bitcoin and similar cryptocurrencies is a growing threat to U.S. national security, with the attorney general William Barr’s Cyber-Digital Task Force calling it the “first raindrops of an oncoming storm.”

MORE FROM FORBESNeither Trump Nor Biden Will Help The U.S. Dollar, Warns Early Facebook Exec-Calls Bitcoin An ‘Insurance Policy’

“Current terrorist use of cryptocurrency may represent the first raindrops of an oncoming storm of expanded use,” the Cyber-Digital Task Force said in a report that found bitcoin and cryptocurrencies pose an emerging challenge to law enforcement activities. “Cryptocurrency also provides bad actors and rogue nation states with the means to earn profits.”

The DOJ report, titled Cryptocurrency: An Enforcement Framework and published by the Attorney General’s Cyber-Digital Task Force last week, found bitcoin and cryptocurrencies have been used to support terrorism, purchase illicit items, conduct blackmail and extortion, cryptojacking and launder funds.

Investigators also said bitcoin and cryptocurrencies could be “detrimental to the safety and stability of the international financial system.”

The response of U.S. and international law enforcement has been held back by inconsistent regulation country-to-country. The DOJ has spent the last two years determining how best to address these issues, according to the document that “outlines the Department’s response strategies.”

MORE FROM FORBES‘High Risk’ Warning: A Major

Drivers are More Likely to Wear a Mask Than Drive Without Using a Cell Phone, According to Survey From National Safety Council and TRUCE Software

Drivers are More Likely to Wear a Mask Than Drive Without Using a Cell Phone, According to Survey From National Safety Council and TRUCE Software

PR Newswire

ITASCA, Ill., Oct. 6, 2020

During the 10th anniversary of Distracted Driving Awareness Month, NSC and TRUCE find far too many risky behaviors – and an unwillingness to let them go

ITASCA, Ill., Oct. 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — According to a survey released today by the National Safety Council and TRUCE Software, drivers remain persistently unable to disconnect behind the wheel, even 10 years after Distracted Driving Awareness Month brought increased attention to a persistent roadway killer, and nearly all states have some form of legislation prohibiting certain types of distractions.

The National Safety Council is dedicated to eliminating the leading causes of preventable death and injury focusing our efforts on the workplace, roadway and impairment. (PRNewsfoto/National Safety Council)
The National Safety Council is dedicated to eliminating the leading causes of preventable death and injury focusing our efforts on the workplace, roadway and impairment. (PRNewsfoto/National Safety Council)

In the survey of 2,001 registered drivers ages 25 and older across the country, 76% of respondents said they are rightly “very willing” to wear a mask in public – but just 62% are “very willing” to obey a state law preventing cell phone use. The finding speaks to a long-standing behavior change dilemma: Many people will correctly take steps to mitigate immediate risks to their safety – especially if they believe the measure will be temporary, such as wearing a mask – but widespread behavior change that can drive down chronic safety incidents, such as motor vehicle crashes, often takes much longer.

Since October is Distracted Driving Awareness Month, NSC and the observation’s lead sponsor TRUCE – a company dedicated to decreasing workplace distraction and improving worker safety – are urging employers to enact distracted driving policies at their workplaces to compensate for many drivers’ unwillingness to adhere to state laws. Further,

City National Bank continues as Hunger Heroes for backpack programming | Features/Entertainment

HUNTINGTON — City National Bank provided a donation of $8,500 to support programming at Facing Hunger Foodbank during a check presentation on Thursday, Oct. 1.

It is the fourth year the bank has made such a donation. This year’s funding will be directed to county schools in Lawrence County, Ohio, as well as Cabell and Wayne counties in West Virginia.

“City National Bank and their team have become ‘Hunger Heroes’ in their partnership with the food bank since 2016. This year, they wanted to ensure that children in the communities they serve benefit from this gracious gift,” Cynthia Kirkhart, chief executive officer of the food bank, said in a news release. “Through their donations of time, talent and treasure, their support has made a huge impact on the well-being of those we serve.”

Facing Hunger Foodbank has served an additional 11,000 children with emergency back packs throughout the pandemic, and as the regular school year has started, the weekly distributions of back packs for weekend use by students will stretch further with this support. In total, the food bank has expanded the back pack program from 4,000 students last year, to an expected 10,000 children throughout this school year and in support of emergency child nutrition initiatives in partnership with local schools and the West Virginia Department of Education’s Child Nutrition Services.

Facing Hunger is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization affiliated with Feeding America, the largest hunger relief agency in the United States. Facing Hunger’s service area includes 12 West Virginia counties, four counties in northeastern Kentucky, as well as Lawrence County, Ohio. To join them in these efforts, visit www.facinghunger.org.

Source Article

Website of 13th National Party Congress launched

The official website of the 13th National Congress of the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) was launched on October 3, at daihoi13.dangcongsan.vn.

The website, built and operated by the Communist Party of Vietnam Online Newspaper, will update the latest news about Party congresses at all levels and the 13th National Party Congress. The news will be published in Vietnamese, English, French, Chinese, Spanish and Russian.

Website of 13th National Party Congress launched

Speaking at the launching ceremony, member of the Party Central Committee’s Secretariat Tran Quoc Vuong said Party congresses at the municipal and provincial level are underway, and the 13th National Party Congress is scheduled to take place in the first quarter of 2021.

He suggested the website serve as a forum to collect and respond to public feedback on Party congresses and draft documents to be submitted to the 13th National Party Congress, resolutely fight and reject wrongful allegations and sabotage plots by hostile forces.

Vuong asked press agencies to provide the latest and correct news, photos and videos before, during and after the Party congresses for the website.

Head of the Party Central Committee’s Commission for Information and Education Vo Van Thuong required press agencies and the Communist Party of Vietnam Online Newspaper to increase coverage of draft documents to be submitted to the 13th National Party Congress.

Thuong also stressed the need to put into operation a press centre in service of the 13th National Party Congress.

VNS

Prepare and organize the National Party Congress well, bring the country into a new stage of development

Prepare and organize the National Party Congress well, bring the country into a new stage of development

VietNamNet would like to introduce an article by Party General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong, entitled “Prepare and organize the National Party Congress well, bring the country into a new stage of development”. 

Source Article

Indian Startups Band Up Against Google Dominance, Want To Build National Alternative To Play Store

KEY POINTS

  • Google Play will collect a 30% commission on in-app purchases from 2021
  • Indian startup founders called these charges “unfeasible”
  • Google’s Android holds a 95.8% market share in India

More than 150 top Indian startups and businesses, some of them big names, have banded together to challenge Google’s monopoly over the Android app ecosystem in India  and build an app store that the country can call its own, TechCrunch reported.

The move by Indian businesses to to build a national altenative to Google Play was prompted by Google’s recent annoucement to force app developers on its store to use its payments system, which takes a 30% cut on transactions including in-app purchases. Reports said founders of leading startups like Paytm, a payments app simiar to Google Pay and is India’s most valuable startup; MakeMyTrip and PolicyBazaar discussed Google’s policy and the concerns on dependence on Google on a call.

It is not yet clear how far the effort has progressed.

TechCrunch said without naming any sources that dozens of executives “from nearly every top startup and firm” in India attended the call Tuesday and agreed that a Google’s 30% cut was “simply unfeasible” and will hurt Indian businesses. It said the meeting discussed Google’s “monopolistic” hold on India, which has one of the world’s largest startup ecosystems, and what the executives alleged were unfair and inconsistent enforcement of Play Store guidelines in the country by Google.

Google Play Store Google’s new Play Pass subscription service gives users access to hundreds of apps and games from the Play Store. Photo: REUTERS/Stephen Lam

Last month Google reiterated Play Store’s gambling policy and even pulled Paytm’s app from the store for some time, citing repeated violations of the policy. Google leads the mobile payments market in India, and is a direct competitor to Paytm in